Today’s post, we are going to discuss the answer to the question, “What Are the Key Benefits of Using the Google Display Network?”
Question: What Are The Key Benefits Of Using The Google Display Network?
Placing your ads on google.com
Sophisticated reporting to measure performance
Massive reach, you can advertise on any website
Correct Answers Are:
- Sophisticated reporting to measure performance
- Massive reach, you can advertise on any website
- It comes with sophisticated results reporting
- Place ads against the most relevant content
- There’s no minimum cost to start
- It gives access to millions of sites and devices
What is The Google Display Network?
GDN or Google Display Network is an interesting and important part of Google Adwords campaign management. With GDN, Google Adwords campaign management has the potential to deliver better campaign performance.
GDN is a network of websites which run Google ads. GDN sites comprise of YouTube, Gmail and more than a million Google web display partners which include all AdSense and DoubleClick Ad Exchange partner sites that allow text and display ads on their site pages. Google Display Network offers multiple Ad formats like text ads, image ads, rich media ads and video ads. Wonderful isn’t it! GDN console got a recent energy boost by way of better features and targeting options.
The Google Display Network is a powerful tool if used properly. Success on GDN calls for a different approach from regular search strategy. The ability to choose the right keywords and topics/Google partner sites with an effective creative strategy will define success.
What Are Display Ads?
Display ads are the paid advertisements that appear in front of users on website pages in the form of graphics. Display ads are different from Search Engine Marketing/Pay Per Click/ Paid Search ads, which appear on search engine results pages. This means that PPC ads appear only when a person is searching, and display ads appear when a person is surfing. However, display ads technically do still appear when a person is searching, because people often visit the web pages that show up in their search results. Display ads are commonly referred to as banner ads, but they don’t always take exact banner form. The graphics can be a smaller square or rectangle and can appear on the top, middle, or side of a web page.
Benefits of Display Ads
Display Ads are Visually Appealing
One of the first benefits of display ads is that, because they are graphic content, they can be designed and styled. Regular SEM ads (Search Engine Marketing ads)are text only and with character counts, limiting how effectively and quickly you are able to capture attention and convey your message. With display ads, you can use graphics, video, audio, and your company’s branding to stand out to users and attract their attention.
Display Ads Support Brand Awareness
The visual component of display ads also benefits your business by facilitating brand awareness. With a PPC ad, users have to read the text on the ad and then click through to a landing page to learn about the business and its offer. Since display ads are branded and styled, often with an offer, a user can gather information on your brand simply by seeing your display ad, no click necessary.
Effectively Target with Display Ads
When online advertising, it is important to target the people most relevant to your business. Just as with SEM and Facebook Ad targeting, you can create specific parameters for your display ads: which sites they appear on, which geographic area they appear in, which demographic or niche market they appear to. For example, a car dealership can target people of driving age who live in their zip code and are visiting auto-related websites. The benefit of targeting your display ads is that you can maximize your spend.
Increase Your Visibility with Display Ads
Although display ads target specific audiences, this does not mean they limit the visibility of your business online. Display ads give you the ability to appear on websites that are not only highly trafficked but which are also related to the offer of your ad. This can benefit your business by getting you in front of a high volume of the right people, even if they’re not searching.
Display Ads Provide Data
It is important to be able to measure your marketing activities, such as by using Google Analytics, to track their performance. Display advertising platforms offer this benefit to your business. With the data it provides, you can know exactly how many times your ad or ads have been clicked. Being able to track your investment allows you to ensure you are getting the most out of it.
Display Ads Support Retargeting
In addition to standard targeting capabilities, display advertising also allows for retargeting. With retargeting, you can put your ad in front of people who have previously visited your website. This is a way to reach out to people who have expressed interest in your business, and who could still be considering your business.
Getting Started With the Google Display Network
Google Display Network campaigns have definitely been a priority for AdWords to evolve into a system where they can theoretically be created and managed by either business owners or by professional consultants or agencies.
Setting Up A Google Display Campaign
- The first choice you have to make it to essentially manually create your campaign or use Google’s more paint-by-numbers tools to create a campaign that they think matches your stated objectives.
- This lesson is geared more toward those who would use the manual options to set up their campaigns. Notice that the default is to use one of Google’s pre-done options, so you will have to choose the radio button for “No Marketing Objective” to get to the manual setup.
- Once you make this choice, the next screen is a lot like the initial campaign settings screen for a search campaign. You designate geographic locations where your ads should be shown or not shown, bidding methods, budget, ad schedule, etc.
- Note that the default setting for bidding is Manual CPC with the Enable Enhanced CPC option checked. Here’s what that means:
- You can decide if you want to use this method – it does require having AdWords conversion tracking enabled. I prefer to manually manage my bids rather than having AdWords does it, so I would uncheck this box to keep the bids manual.
- Both location and phone extensions are available for display ads as well. It’s up to you whether or not they apply to your business.
- The Ad Rotation settings are also defaulted to “Optimize for Conversions”. Again, I don’t like to let AdWords make these kinds of decisions for me.
- My preferred setting for ad rotation is “Rotate Indefinitely” even though it comes with a warning that tries to say your ads will not perform well.
- If you’re running ad variations, you may need longer than the approximately 90 days offered in AdWords’ next preferred setting of “Rotate Evenly for 90 Days, Then Optimize”.
- Finally, a word about ad scheduling – the default is for ads to run 24/7. Depending on what your display ads are designed to do, this may be a perfectly fine setting.
You might even find that your ads find traction at some weird hours that you could have missed out on if you’d limited your schedule. Conversely though, if your ads have a phone call CTA for example, just be mindful of the hours when a call will actually be answered and schedule appropriately!
Display Advertising Strategy
Since each business’s needs, goals, and objectives are unique, we can’t give you a one-size-fits-all answer to creating a successful display strategy. But we can leave you with this checklist and best practices. Addressing each of these points will get you on your way to taking advantage of the many opportunities Google’s Display Network offers. And if you still need help, drop us a line.
Display Campaign Strategy Checklist
- Identify your goals and anticipated outcomes.
- Establish a target audience.
- Establish a budget – 15%-25% of the total advertising budget is suggested.
- Design custom ads.
- Measure, adjust and then optimize.
- Establish a clear message and offering.
- Create a clean visual call to action.
- ALWAYS include promotions.
- Experiment with different colors when available.
- Make ads easy to read and balanced with visuals.
- Include your Brand Name and URL within ad creative.
- Use all available sizes/shapes, including text ads.
- Always include mobile ad sizes.
- Measure and optimize.
The Value Of Display Advertising On The Google Display Network
The Google Display Network is used by thousands of advertisers to reach users on hundreds of thousands of websites and apps across all publisher categories, from large, well-known sites to niche sites and audiences. Stated simply, the Google Display Network (GDN) will place your display ads against related content and audiences across thousands of sites.
Our job at Google is to make sure those marketers and agencies are armed with the best tools to help you plan, create, buy and target, and measure and optimize your campaigns.
- Massive Scale: With significant global coverage your message will reach more of your target audience, in more places, more often. The Google Display Network comprises both hundreds of large sites and hundreds of thousands of niche sites.
- Measurable Performance and Maximized Results: The Display Network delivers measurable performance for both branding and direct display clients; maximizing their results. For example, our research shows that when advertisers used the Display Network in combination with Search, the median advertiser has a Display Network cost per acquisition (CPA) that’s within approximately 2% of their Search CPA. The Google Display Network also drives nearly 20% of total conversions for the median advertiser.*
- Contextual Engine: A key driver of the success is Google’s ability to harness the power of the best contextual engine on the planet to place ads against the most relevant content. This enables you to find and connect with the most engaged audiences. Research shows that brand recall increases significantly when ads are targeted contextually v. non-contextually relevant.
- Custom Networks through Effective Targeting: Keyword contextual targeting, along with other targeting technologies available on the Google Display Network such as placement targeting and audience targeting, allows you to build and target to your own custom networks and to find and connect with the right customers more effectively and more often.
- Transparency, Actionable Insights, and Value through Auction: In terms of campaign management, tools such as the Placement Performance Report, Conversion Optimizer, and Conversion Tracking provide complete transparency into what’s working, and what isn’t. This gives you the actionable insights you need to help you effectively optimize your campaigns.
With flexible pricing models (CPM, CPC, CPA) as well as the most popular Display Ad formats, and transparency into performance, the Google Display Network drives results every day for thousands of advertisers around the world.
Final Thoughts on Google Display Network
Since the Display Network reaches a large audience through a wide variety of third-party websites, this campaign type is perfect for building brand awareness or reaching customers who are browsing online and not specifically searching for your product.
Now that you’ve learned about “Display Network Only” campaigns, so stay tuned with Kranthi to know more about Google Display Network and Google AdWords Campaign!